Welcome

Welcome to our place...just two steps away from the funny farm! To explain this name, whenever things get crazy at our house, I always say "Well, we are just two steps away from the funny farm!" As a very busy homeschooling family, things DO sometimes get a bit chaotic. But we love this life of living and learning together and there is never a dull moment!

The picture of the beautiful Amish farm on this page was taken while we were on the Strasburg Railroad.


Thursday, September 11, 2008

A Solemn Anniversary

Where were you 7 years ago at 9 in the morning? I will always remember that day... a beautiful Tuesday morning. Joel was 5 and Ivy was 4 years old and we had just begun our school day. As our usual custom, we began the day with Bible reading and singing a hymn. On that particular morning, I read Psalm 23 and we sang the hymn "God Leads His Dear Children Along."

We were interrupted by a phone call - my mom called and told me that a plane had just crashed into the World Trade Center in New York City. I assumed it was a terrible accident involving a small plane. However shortly after that, I and the rest of the world realized the magnitude of that event.

We watched the TV, we cried, prayed and talked about this. I didn't want to scare my children who were so young. So we went for a walk around our neighborhood. It was so quiet... no planes flying overhead. So quiet, so calm, so peaceful yet I knew that that day was anything but peaceful. It was a very frightening time. Yet throughout that day, my mind continuously was full of Scripture verses, I knew that we can trust in our loving heavenly Father. He is sovereign over all. He was there.

Later, the significance of our Bible reading and our hymn that morning just amazed me! God gave us that Scripture and that beautiful hymn that morning for a reason. I will always be reminded of September 11, 2001 whenever I hear or sing that hymn.

To commemorate that day, this morning my children and I again read Psalm 23 and we sang together "God Leads His Dear Children Along" just like we did 7 years ago.

"In shady green pastures, so rich and so sweet,
God leads His dear children along.
Where the water's cool flow bathes the weary one's feet,
God leads His dear children along.
Some thro' the waters,
some thro' the flood,
Some thro' the fire,
But all thro' the blood.
Some thro' great sorrow,
But God gives a song
In the night season
And all the day long.
Sometimes on the mount where the sun shines so bright,
God leads His dear children along.
Sometimes in the valley, in darkest of night
God leads His dear children along.
Though sorrows befall us and Satan oppose,
God leads His dear children along.
Through grace we can conquer, defeat all our foes;
God leads His dear children along."
Text and Music by G.A.Young

No comments: