Welcome

Welcome to our place...just two steps away from the funny farm! To explain this name, whenever things get crazy at our house, I always say "Well, we are just two steps away from the funny farm!" As a very busy homeschooling family, things DO sometimes get a bit chaotic. But we love this life of living and learning together and there is never a dull moment!

The picture of the beautiful Amish farm on this page was taken while we were on the Strasburg Railroad.


Friday, August 22, 2008

A long week

This was one of those "funny farm" weeks that often happen at our house. Jaden was sick all week with a fever which means that he hasn't been sleeping good at all. So I've been completely sleep-deprived and at the point of total exhuastion for the last few days. I realized just how tired I was last night. I was holding two pairs of earrings in my hand as I was getting a glass of water before bed. Without thinking, I almost threw those earrings down my throat like I was taking advil pills! I stopped myself just in the nick of time! Imagine what would have happened had I done that! I could have choked on those earrings and everyone else was in bed.... Mark would have found me on the kitchen floor in the morning.... they would have discovered 4 earrings in my throat... imagine Mark having to wonder about that the rest of his life! Like I said, I was so tired and it struck me so funny!

We also had a flat tire this week. But God was gracious and He protected us from entering the highway. I got out of the car at a traffic light to look since the car was driving funny and I was able to pull over to a safe place. We were just about to enter a very busy highway and the tire was completely flat. I have already experienced one tire blow-out on a major highway and never want that experience repeated! Mark was able to come to our rescue and it only cost ten dollars to get our tire fixed. We found out later that when Joel and all the neighborhood boys were playing football in our front yard, the ball had hit our tire hard and bent the valve which caused the air to leak out. Be careful about footballs too close to your car!

On Weds. Joel and Ivy got to go to the Elizabethtown Fair with Grandma. They had a good time but were dissappointed at the cost of the rides - 4 dollars a ride! But fairs are really all about the animals and that part was fun. I stayed home with the sick toddler.

At the store recently the cashier asked Joel if he was excited about school starting soon. And of course he said he wasn't. Then she looked at me and asked me if I was excited about school starting soon and I said YES! And then she wrongly assumed that I was excited about sending him away. She said that is almost always the case..... I should have clarified for her that I am his teacher and I am happy not to be sending him away. But I didn't. And I feel bad about giving the wrong impression. I missed my chance to give a good testimony of homeschooling.

And one more thing to add in this long rambly post from a sleep-deprived mom... After watching the Olympics last night when the men's relay runner dropped the baton and they failed to qualify for the race, Joel sat down and wrote a poem about that. He was inspired by the whole thing to write about it! How many 12 year old boys would do that?! I am going to ask him if I can post his poem here so be looking for it soon.

Thanks for reading these random thoughts!

No comments: